Job Code: USCORP01
Position: VP, Global Medical Affairs
Department: Medical Affairs/ Corporate Development
Reports to: Chief Business Officer (CBO)
Location: San Diego (Remote flexibility)
Connect Biopharma (Nasdaq: CNTB) is a global, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the lives of patients with chronic inflammatory diseases through the development of therapies derived from T cell-driven research. With operations and expertise in China, the United States and Australia and clinical development activities in those geographies as well as Europe, Connect Biopharma is building a rich pipeline of internally designed, wholly owned small molecules and antibodies targeting several aspects of T cell biology.
We are looking for an experienced and highly collaborative leader who will oversee and build the Global Medical Affairs function for the organization. This individual is part of the Corporate Development Leadership Team and will partner closely with R&D, Early Commercialization, Corporate Strategy, Corporate Affairs.
As the VP, Global Medical Affairs, you will lead functional teams within Medical Affairs (KOL Engagement & Partnering, Medical Science Liaison, Scientific Communications & Publications and Non-registration trials data generation.) The ideal candidate will have experience in biopharma and biotech medical affairs professional with country, regional and global medical affairs strategy and operations. This position will be instrumental in developing a distinct company culture, assisting in setting up key company systems and processes as needed and support the Chief Business Officer, Executive Leadership and Investor Relations functions for all interactions with investors, healthcare professionals, scientific organizations and patient groups requiring scientific & clinical data communications.
- Design and implement the Global Medical Affairs strategy and operations (tactical plans) necessary to establish Connect’s portfolio of assets in the minds and activities of all internal & external partners, with clear deliverables and metrics.
- Build the Global Medical Affairs organization (focus on US, and China in collaboration with China team, and a limited RoW presence alone, or in collaboration with any potential partners) with a focus to evolve talent, teams and culture.
- Build a culture of compliance, collaboration and candor by demonstrating leadership behaviors and working collectively across the organization.
- Ensure competencies are developed leading to subject matter expertise in Connect products, competitive landscape and disease area indications.
- Develop appropriate medical affairs processes, SOPs and operations management.
- Support the Corporate Development and R&D strategies by shaping clinical development of products and lifecycle through insights and needs of the US, EU, China, Japan market, captured from country based stakeholders.
- Support clinical operations teams to execute on development programs by assisting them with investigator, KOL and site relationships.
- Expand pipeline through partnership with business development and global teams.
- Lead data generation activities. Accountable for execution of approved post- / non-registration clinical trials, including budget and milestones.
- Partner with early commercialization team to develop value-oriented strategies and studies.
- Communicate clinical, scientific and value-oriented differentiation required to compete.
- Prepare for/ execute the appropriate communication of critical data milestones over the next 2-3 years, through scientific data communication, publications and MSL activities.
- Collaborate with key Connect functions in shaping the communication platform from protocol development through TFL meeting through to final external communications.
- Create advocacy and partnership with KOL’s and external groups such as scientific organizations, scientific guidelines, medical societies and patient organizations.
- Lead the Connect SAB
- Lead indication, Product or Portfolio Specific Advisory Boards
- Partner & collaborate with Clinical Ops teams for investigator meetings and steering committee meetings.
- Develop compliant engagement model for Connect partnering with Patient Advocacy Groups
- Build and lead a field MSL operating model to deliver on patient, physician, payer, health system engagement to address unmet needs across the immunology ecosystem that Connect is competing in.
- Champion and accelerate digital and analytic strategies to enhance stakeholder engagement, education, communication, and insight gathering.
- Collaborate with Senior Management in hiring top talent across the organization.
- Required to travel as needed, ~35%
- Bachelor’s Degree
- MD, PharmD, PhD (Desirable)
- Experienced biopharma and biotech medical affairs professional with 10+ years in country, regional and global medical affairs strategy and operations
- Medical Affairs product launch preparation (3+ years prior to launch) and major country (USA / EU5 / Japan) launch experience
- Immunology product specific experience in Dermatology, IBD or Respiratory
- Medical Affairs leadership and management experience
- Commercial P&L experience (Desirable)
- Scientific publications (Desirable)
- Strong analytical skills and performance driven.
- Excellent communicator and presentation skills
- Strong Project Management and organizational skills
- Solution oriented and is biased to fast decision making and action, based on evidence.
- Flexible and agile mindset
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness